Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Take a Number, Please

And my morning began...

5:00: I take a number & check in. I'm the first surgery of the day.
5:30: I'm naked in a changing room, putting on my hospital gown.
6:00: I'm in my hospital bed, getting IV-ed up. "You can go ahead and scream if you want, I won't care," the nurse tells me. I think she was trying to be funny. I don't like needles. I didn't find it funny.
6:30: Um. I'm waiting. In bed. Next to my mom, who is taking this time to show me her new Reading book for her 3rd grade classroom. If I wasn't trapped to the bed, I'd probably have left the room by now.
7:10: My surgeon comes in. "I kept telling people all vacation that they wouldn't BELIEVE how full this girls gallbladder is! I just kept laughing! I'm still laughing! Lets get this sucker out, girl," she says.
7:30ish: The last thing I remember is them moving me from my stretcher to the operating table. I tried to look for McDreamy before I passed out... but was unsuccessful. No McSteamy either.


...Everything after that was a blur. At one point my surgeon came back in to my recovery area to tell me my gallbladder was fuller than she even expected. (She was still laughing.) But she said everything was taken out okay and although I was sore - I should feel a ton better by this time next week. Then at some point my mom came back. At some point I was moved into a chair. Then they made me eat two crackers. I'm sure a bunch of other things happened, but I don't really remember much.

I left the hospital around 3 p.m. Later that night I began screaming like a maniac because my mom didn't want to give me another of my Percocet pills. It had only been five hours, rather than the recommended six.

I can see why people don't like dealing with drug addicts or pregnant women. There's something about being in so much pain and KNOWING you have access to pills you aren't being given that just make you completely psycho.

I ended up throwing such a fit that she had to call my doctor to see if it was okay to give me the pill early.

(Of course) it was. And I've never enjoyed a victory more.

1 comment:

Anna Apocalypse said...

Haha, I love that you looked for McDreamy/McSteamy right before they knocked you out!