Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sense of Belonging

Today was Community Day in Elrama, which is just down the road from us.

It's the town I grew up in and the town my parents and grandparents were raised in. It's not even a town - so small it's actually "The Village of Elrama." I spent so many summer nights running around that area - my grandparents lived in the center of it and knew everyone in every house it seemed. It's hard to believe it's been almost 11 years since my Grandma died and almost 9 or 10 since my Pap sold the house.

But even small towns change, as was evident by the lack of people I did not know at the picnic today. Just as well. Nothing should ever stay the same. I'm not the same - and I wouldn't want to be the same.

Luckily, this photo is really not the truest representation of my day. Because this day - as horribly confusing and frustrating as it was at times - ended spectacularly. Tonight, I just couldn't do anything to wipe the smile off of my face.

I don't care how long this lasts -
I just know that with him--right now--I am happy.

"If you only get to go around one time -
I'm gonna sit back and try to enjoy the ride."

No comments: