Saturday, September 29, 2007

Feeling Needed


Feeling Needed, originally uploaded by reasonenoughtocelebrate.

My parents and I got up early this morning to drive down to the Buckwheat Festival in Kingwood, WV.

My Aunt Carol & Uncle Bill had also driven down from Ohio, and so we all piled into cars and joined Aunt Greta, Amy, Jarion, Laken & Liam for the parade.

After walking around the craft booths for awhile, Baby Liam fell asleep as I was carrying him. I ended up carrying the sleepyhead all over the festival - and finally passed him over to my father for a second while I got situated. Hey - as much as I love those kids - even my arms need a break now and then.

I couldn't help but notice how peaceful both Liam and my dad looked as they waited on the parade. Although my dad only held him for a couple of minutes, and I proceeded to hold the still-sleeping Liam for most of the hour and a half parade - this image of them together burned into my memory.

I'm sure my dad didn't start out thinking he & I would end up with the relationship we have now. I'm sure there were times that I was once that sleeping baby - content in his arms.

Those days are long gone now, that's for sure.

Still, it makes me wonder what my relationship will become with my children someday - and if I can ever bridge whatever gap there is between me and my dad. Or if I will ever be able to find a man I am capable of completely trusting...

No comments: