Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Holding Out for a Homerun

"Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back, with wonder."
-The Wonder Years

Tonight, I went to see the Pirates game with my dad. They were playing the Arizona Diamondbacks - which was interesting to see. My old life (Arizona) vs. my current life (Pittsburgh).

I may have worn an Arizona t-shirt to the park, but the Pirates won the game.

I kept watching the two kids in front of us at the game though -- so excited over every damn swing of the bat, every ball that went into the air. Like they truly believed that foul ball was coming -- any second now. Any minute and it would be theirs. Inning after inning they cheered, they stood, they held up their gloves. They waited.

They'd love to see a homerun hit out of the park, but they'd also die for a foul ball.

Chicago/New York would be my homeruns - but where IS my foul ball?

No comments: