Thursday, April 24, 2008

"And who can say what we are?"



Tonight after a ridiculous day at work (stressing out about this kind of stuff is always tiring - especially when it happens to people you know & adore), Eddie & I went out to see "Smart People." The movie was pretty good in parts, but I mainly liked watching it since it was filmed in Pittsburgh and actually casted two of Ed's best friends as extras.

Later, we headed to S Bar to just hang out, grab a couple drinks & talk. I was defintely right when I realized Ed was one of those people I could learn so much from. I love hearing the way he thinks and sees things, how he lives his life for the ultimate goal of doing what he loves, how he isn't every afraid or awkward in social settings. He's someone I feel genuinely attracted to - not only by the way he looks but because of the person he is no matter who he's with. He's someone I'm developing a friendship with - a friendship that I don't endlessly obsess over when it will expire or when issues will arise. It is what it is, it will last as long as it's going to last. Life is too short -- and the people who do not better you, are only harming you. Thats probably the hardest lesson that I'm learning.

Perhaps what I am gaining the most though from my time with Ed is the connection I feel with him at times, because of the similar ideas we have as far as how we want to grow and change, move & discover things. He makes me want to pack up and move to New York tomorrow, quit the jobs that aren't getting me anywhere career wise and allow myself to do what I want to do so badly.

He is teaching me to live in the moment, savor the day. To allow people to come and go into my life, gaining something from them, and letting them leave when it is their time to bow out.

He is showing me so much more than I ever expected.
And I'm just happy to be along for the ride.

"Pulse is gone and racing –all fits and starts.
Window by window you try and look into,
This brave new you that you are.
And who can say what dreams are?
((Wake me in time to be out in the cold))
And who can say what we are?

This is the reason for dreaming.."
-Spring Awakening

No comments: